How I Fell in Love with Journaling
This week I am delving into the why/how of my offering of Journaling to the Heart.
From Dear Diary to Journaling prompts...Journaling to the Heart. A synchronistic adventure.
This past week I was fortunate enough to share Journaling with about 80 High School students during their A Day Without Hate curriculum. So it is a perfect time to share with you the story of how Journaling to the Heart came to be. It was such an. honor to hold space with the faces of our future. They are amazing and smart and want this world to be a better place!
It all began when I was a young face. I received a diary from my grandma circa 1969. See photo above! I loved that little book with the lock and key. I felt so seen, validated and treasured to receive such a gift.
That is how I create and facilitate all the journaling offerings. You are seen, validated and treasured. You matter and are a unique treasure trove of magical, mystical, wise energy and you are encouraged to release your soul expression, feelings, thoughts, hopes, dreams, questions and creative expression onto the pages of your journal. .
When my 3rd child was born, my son George, it was a rough start. A baby with a congenital heart defect. Open heart surgery, many procedures, medicine to keep his little heart functioning well, a pacemaker. Fast forward 16 years and my desire to be there for other parents as a support led me to Denver Children's Hospital as a volunteer. When my son George was born, there were no support groups, or guidance. Stunned and traumatized, we were left to our own devices to figure out how to navigate having a child with a serious medical issue. I was determined to be available to other parent's who found themselves in this situation.
Months passed after I qualified to volunteer. Nothing. Then a call and an ask. The March of Dimes was putting together a pilot program for parents with babies in the NICU. Would I lead a journaling group. What? How? I was an avid journaler since my grandma gave me that diary. And a writer. Working on my first novel. And a mom of a teenager with CHD. Ok, I'll do it. I put together a "class". I offered the traumatized parents an opportunity for one hour in the middle of the day in the hospital where all manner of chaos was their new normal. I offered them space to be seen, validated and yes, treasured. The program was short-lived. Journaling to the Heart was born.
I then went on to offer Journaling in various settings, it became my first offering as I transitioned into my current work in the wellness and spiritual/emotional healing field. Fast forward 17 years. Heart of Gaia grew. There is a core group of journalers who still meet in person every Tuesday here at Heart of Gaia. Journaling Goddesses. Many have come and gone, participated in month long workshops or my on-line offerings. Journaling has become a well-known self-care, therapeutic tool. It is an art form, way of life, expression of self, self discovery, life-saving experience. It is a comfort and joy, sometimes the only safe and sane place to express.
I have journaled through so much life changes. It is truly my constant and my journals contain the stories. I have facilitated others and it is my pleasure to share this with you, and to witness the unfolding of our inner wisdom and healing grace.
How has life given you opportunities to share your unique self? How have you been guided by the unseen and seen loving supportive energies to your exact right place? Our soul purpose is always shown. It is in the places we find ourselves and how we meet ourselves and extends a hand to others.
What is the story of your life? How may I support you in being witnessed, treasured, valued, seen?
You carry within you a treasure. You are a treasure.
Love,
Mary
www.marydagostino.com for Journaling to the Heart Offerings
Comments
Post a Comment